Thursday, March 15, 2007

Token non-political post of the week:


I was sorting/cleaning out my firefox bookmarks the other day and found a few that might be of interest. Not that the links are necessarily of interest (though some may be), but the fact that I bookmarked them might be somewhat amusing.

1. Probably shouldn't post this, because it looks like the height of copyright infringement, but I believe this site contains the full text of Strunk's Elements of Style. Come to think of it, since this is Strunk's (from 1918), and not Strunk and White's, it's probably public domain.

2. This is a compendium of explanations of the otherwise undecipherable items that appear in the "Processes" tab of your Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del). Very useful if you're dorky enough to know that the Task Manager exists, but not dorky enough to know what it means. I think I was using this to try to identify spyware on my PC.

3. This one is a fun time waste. It is a very long list of quizzes, where they show you a bunch of screen caps from movies, but with the people invisible (but not their clothes or the scenery) and you have to guess what movie each picture is from (example pictured above).

4. This is the Atlasphere, which is essentially MySpace for Ayn Rand aficionados (11,000+ members, 5900 dating profiles(!)). I think back when I bookmarked it it was more like just a big Ayn Rand fansite. Now it requires registration. Bleah.

5. No idea why I have this, but it's a big listing of quotes from the absolute greatness that is the movie Wall Street. (by the way, when imdb.com goes registration-only, i will quit the internet.) A sampling:
Bud Fox: "I'm tapped out Marv. American Express has got a hit man lookin' for me."

Gekko: "The public's out there throwing darts at a board, Sport. I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought."

And here's one the site has inexplicably left off:

Gekko: "I've been in this business since '69. Most of these Harvard MBA-types don't add up to dogshit. Give me guys that are poor, smart, and hungry -- and no feelings. You win some, you lose some, but you keep on fighting. And if you need a friend: get a dog."

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Re: #3 -- I am surprisingly bad at this, though I did get some long shots that I wasn't sure of. Biggest. Time suck. EVER. And highly entertaining!

Unknown said...

click to read replica bags you could try here Fendi Dolabuy my review here replica louis vuitton bags