Monday, March 24, 2008

Where is my Au...To...Mo...Bile ?

So I'm on my way home, and I happen to catch NPR interviewing a guy named Gedde Watanabe. As Long Duk Dong in the movie Sixteen Candles, he was fortunate to deliver one of the funniest ripostes in all time cinema history: "Ottomobeeeele?"

I've seen it dozens, hundreds of times, but I watched it again just now and it still makes me laugh.

Not having caught enough of the interview, I'm not sure what the point of it was, but while I was listening they were harping on the idea that the Long Duk Dong character was some kind of insidious racial stereotype that has caused millions of Americans to have a poor perception of Asian-Americans. To which I say: Stop. Ok? Just stop.

1 comment:

Gleemonex said...

Dude. Long Duk Dong was BIG PIMPIN. What's the matter with people? Jeeez.